Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: The Athena Effect by Derrolyn Anderson

The Athena Effect

Author: Derrolyn Anderson
ebook, 221 pages
Published August 30th 2012 

"Country girl Cali has been kept a secret her entire life, raised in isolation by two very troubled people. Despite her parent’s disturbing fits, Cal is perfectly content, living at one with the nature that surrounds her, and finding adventure inside the pages of her beloved books. When an awful tragedy tears her away from her remote cabin in the woods, nothing she’s ever read has prepared her for a world that she knows very little about.

Girls and motorcycles are what bad-boy Cal’s life is all about. Brought up in a raucous party house by his biker brother, he’s free to do as he pleases, going through the motions on his final days of high school. Aimless, Cal stopped thinking about his future a long time ago.

Attacked by a gang of thugs while running an errand for his brother, Cal is in serious trouble until a fierce girl appears out of nowhere to intervene. She chases off three grown men, sparing Cal a brutal beating before disappearing into the night like a spirit. He can’t stop thinking about his mysterious rescuer, and when she turns out to be the weird new girl at school who goes out of her way to avoid him, he can’t contain his curiosity.

He’s never met anyone like her before, and the more he learns about the unusual girl who shares his nickname, the more he wants to know. Cal can’t help falling for Cal, but can he keep her from falling victim to a dangerous enemy from her parent’s tragic past?"
(From Goodreads)

When I received an email from Derrolyn Anderson asking if I would like to review her book, The Athena Effect, I was excited because it was my very first review request from an author. I went into this book not knowing what to expect and WOW! It blew me away!!! I loved every bit of it. I'll try to keep this spoiler free! =D

I love Cali's character! She's strong, independent, and kick-ass! After her parents passed away, Cali moved to the city to live with her aunt after being raised in the mountains, isolated from everyone and everything else for 17 years. Cali had a hard time fitting in at school, but she didn't change her appearance to fit in, she didn't change anything about herself like what I would imagine most people would do in her situation, and I admire her for that. I love the fact that throughout the whole book she stayed true to herself even though she was so isolated from the world since birth. I really like how she's such an intelligent, and smart person but when it comes down to simple stuff like everyday life things, she's so naive and ignorant, and never took things for granted. It made her character very cute and likable. I really like her ability to see peoples emotions. I think that's a pretty cool ability to have. The description of how Cali sees, feels, and tastes peoples emotions were well written because I can totally imagine how it would happen in my head. With Cali having the ability to see peoples emotion, she was taught to keep it a secret and never trust anyone. After meeting Calvin and seeing how determine he his to getting to know the girl who saved his life, Cali finds herself struggling to protect her secret. 

Calvin, Oh Calvin! I love you! You're the bad boy all girls should avoid and yet when your curiosity gets the best of you, you're just so determined huh? Calvin is full of arrogance and confidence when it comes to girls, but after meeting Cali, he starts to doubt himself and doesn't act like himself at all. I love how we were able to see the changes Calvin goes through after meeting Cali. It really shows how much he cares for her because he doesn't treat her like how he does to other girls. Being with Cali makes him want to be a better person, make a better life for himself, and follow his dreams that were long forgotten. Calvin's character is just so irresistible!!! His brother, Jarod and his girlfriend Crystal were pretty cool. They were really supportive of Calvin and Cali. I hope they show up in the next book.

I really like the romance in this book. It was a slow build up and that's what makes it so good! I don't really like the whole insta-love crap. The relationship these two characters have is so realistic. I think some people could definitely relate to it. They both connect and understand each other. They both know the pain of losing someone, struggling with life, falling in love for the first time. Watching these two fall in love with each other was one of the best parts about the book. 

Professor Teddy, Layla, Michael, and Max...they didn't really show up until the middle and towards the end of the book. Professor Teddy, is the typical crazy scientist who wants to make the world better by doing unethical experiments involving the Athena Effect. After finding out that Cali is alive, he'll do anything to get her in his possession. Layla and Michael are two kids that were raised by Professor Teddy after their parents passed away. I really feel sorry for Layla and Michael. They are controlled by Professor Teddy. He will only let them do things if Layla does her job well. Max, works for Professor Teddy, but has an agenda of his own to take over. These are definitely some characters I want to know more about. 

The first half of this book was about the building of Cali and Calvin's relationship, which I enjoyed reading.
The climax happened about halfway through the book and I think it was well developed because it was something I really didn't expect. Professor Teddy is definitely one to keep an eye on. =)  Overall the story line and plot were beautifully written! It had a bit of everything from, romance and humor to kidnappings and betrayals. I love how Derrolyn was able to make me, as a reader, feel the emotions of what each character goes through, and I think that's what makes her an amazing writer! I was sucked into this book from the beginning to the very end. This was my first time reading any of Derrolyn Anderson's books and definitely won't be the last!!  Thank you Derrolyn for sharing your amazing work! Will definitely be looking forward to reading the rest of Cali and Calvin's story! =) 



2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've come across this book,I love the fact that there is no insta love. I have heard of the author before though, her other series is pretty popular which I've been meaning to read it just hasn't happened yet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It just came out in Aug. of this year. You should definitely check it out! =) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete