Author: Samantha Young
Paperback, 358 pages
Published
October 21st 2011
by CreateSpace" FEAR THE HEAT...
When eighteen year old Ari Johnson is transported from her bedroom into the chilling realm of Mount Qaf - home to the terrifying and mercurial Jinn - she learns a truth that rocks her very world. Suddenly her anxiety over college and her broken friendship with Charlie seem like small change compared to the war she now finds herself stuck in the middle of. Her unease isn’t lessened any by the hot guardian, Jai, who won’t stop following her around everywhere - a Jinn whose loyalty Ari hates to question but must. She has no idea who she can trust.
When the truth burns through her life in its determination to turn it to ashes, Ari will have to battle with ancient deadly creatures, epic family drama and heart-wrenching romantic entanglements." (From Goodreads)
_________________________________________________________________________________
WOW! The first book to the Fire Spirits Series is AWESOME! I really really liked this book. It was definitely different for me because I've never read a YA book that had Jinns in it. I felt like the first couple of chapters dragged on, but it was pivotal to read it and know the background of Ari Johnson. After that, everything flew by so fast! I couldn't get enough!! And can I say? The cover is gorgeous!
Ari is lonely and struggling to find her place in the world. She's never known her mother, her father is constantly busy with work and never home, and her best friend (Charlie) since childhood has been A.W.O.L ever since his little brother passed away on Ari's 16th birthday. The only thing keeping her going is her loyalty to her friend Charlie and her determination to help get him back on track. After her 18th birthday, her world gets turned upside down when she founds out about who she really is and what her life has now become. I love that Ari is such a strong person who fights for what she wants and those she cares for. She's a kick-ass girl but also emotionally vulnerable. Friendship and trust means everything to her.
Charlie, the best friend since childhood, as been skipping school and hanging out with a new crowd. With Charlie thinking that it was his fault that his younger brother passed away from a car accident, alcohol & drugs became his new friend. He's totally changed. His relationship with his mother and father has changed for the worse. Ari has had a crush on him for the longest time, she thinks she loves him and won't give up on him. She does whatever she can to bring him back but Charlie pushes her away thinking it will protect her from turning into what he's become. I like the fact that Ari is really determined to help Charlie but I can't stand thought of how he treated her for the two years since his brother's passing. He was a total jerk and hurt Ari emotionally multiple times.
Another love interest Jai, is a Jinn bodyguard that was assigned to watch over her and protect her 24/7. Like literally. He was there when she went to school and back home, and there when she went to sleep and woke up. Everywhere she went, he was there. Jai is extremely good looking, mysterious, straight up business only, but there is also so much more to him and meets the eye. He grew up with a horrible childhood and does everything to get his father's acceptance. With his troubled life, he keeps Ari at arms length to protect her but struggling to keep his feelings for her at bay. I love the chemistry between Ari and Jai. The banter and sarcasm they throw at each other are hilarious and brings so much humor into the story. Samantha Young is an expert at throwing their emotions around and dragging out the inevitable. It definitely left me wanting more from Ari and Jai. And Yes! This is a love triangle! I hate it, but there's nothing wrong with a little competition. lol
I love the idea of Jinns. The whole Jinn world & mythology were well though out, creative and fascinating! I love the way Samantha Young wrote the story with so much details and creativity. The characters were awesome. They all had their own personalities and issues with troubled past. I thought the 7 Jinn Kings and their father were very intriguing and left me wanting to know more about their history. Another wonderful book from the amazing Samantha Young, she never disappoints. If you haven't read this yet, it is a must! =)









">






























oh my god.....I gotta read these.. nuff said!
ReplyDelete